1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Nancy Reagan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 6, 2016.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

RIP Mrs. Reagan.

I'll always hold great respect for the journeys of the Carter, Reagan, Clinton and Obama families. The men who became president, in all four cases, came from relatively little or from abusive homes (Reagan and Clinton) and chased their dreams and attained them. Regardless of political policies or leanings, I will always respect these four men and their journeys. None were "born on third base".

For Nancy Reagan, I don't think anyone can deny the importance of her journey as well. From an actress to a Governor's life to a First Lady to, for the last 11 years of her husband's life, a tireless caregiver for President Reagan. A journey that was both full of glory to years of darkness from the long goodbye of Alzheimer's.

The Reagans always reminded me a lot of my late grandparents -- born in the 1910s/early 1920s -- who may have grown out of touch with their adult children, were rigid and old-fashioned but they also had a love for each other that was without cynicism and without compromise. I admire that.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Chairman was non-partisan when it came to First Lady trim.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She really stood with, counseled and protected her husband.

A lot of the love and respect for Reagan is probably due to her mostly behind-the-scenes support.

RIP

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

AP apparently has video [/bluefont]

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Why thank you.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I also applaud Nancy Reagan for defying her husband's party's mindless, knee-jerk opposition to stem-cell research and for becoming an advocate for anything that might work. Zygotes be damned. She stuck it to the party of science denial and its warped sense of ideological purity, which tells its congregants that tis better to watch your father or brother or husband or wife or sister lose his or her mind and than to stand up and do something about it without human cost. Stem-cell research that promises help for dementia isn't the cause of abortion; it is a benefit derived from the procedure. But who cares about the details? Dig in on that moral high ground.

In the ongoing election, its deified and self-proclaimed savior, Ted Cruz, is essentially telling young girls they should be happy if their rape results in a pregnancy because such a development is clearly a blessing from God. Any attempt or even desire to terminate the perpetual reminder of a horrific act is nothing less than an abomination because it amounts to murder.

Yes, these are the people of "faith" and "values voters." And I extend to them the upraised middle finger in the name of my dad, who probably wouldn't want me to make an obscene gesture but who nonetheless did decline from brilliance to fog while a presidential administration at the beck and call of the religious right happily let it all happen.

HanSenSE and Riptide like this.
  7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You should step forward and volunteer for the same research. Chip in, do your part.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Can we get a cite on that, or are you having "essentially" do a lot of work for you?

9. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Obama reportedly skipping her funeral to attend South by Southwest this week.

As Gawker put it, he simply doesn't give a f--- anymore.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No sitting president has attended a former First Lady's funeral for more than 50 years.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted