1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mythbusters' Grant Imahara

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Spartan Squad, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Dead at 49 from a brain aneurysm. He was prominent in the B Team trio and probably the trio's best scientist/engineer. So sad.

Grant Imahara, 'Mythbusters' star, dead at 49

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn, he brought so much joy to my boys. The aneurysm is soooo tragic; no symptoms no signs just BAM!! I’ve lost a couple of friends and acquaintances from the same.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  3. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Fuck 2020.

Grant inspired thousands to get interested in science, was by all accounts personable and good-hearted, and he's gone at 49.

Fuck.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That totally sucks. Dude was my age, was certainly brilliant, and seemed like a good guy.
    Aneurysms might be the scariest thing.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The B squad was often the better part of the show. I was just thinking about Mythbusters the other day - what a great show. RIP.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

He was an incredible engineer. Did smart stuff and had fun doing it. What a life.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Damn it!

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hate this. Best thing about "Mythbusters" was the interaction between Kari, Tory and Grant. Second best thing was seeing the Bay Area and Foothill locations because that's like getting home without the drive or flight, especially when they'd use the runways at Alameda or travel down to Fort Ord. I really didn't care for Jamie and Adam. And from what I can tell, they didn't care for each other very much, either.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Jamie and Adam were great together because they were such polar opposites, but it couldn't last that way. Adam had a showman's quality about him to bring the entertainment, along with enough of an engineering sense to not be a complete boob. Jamie was a real-life MacGyver. Dude understood the physics of things and how to build stuff to make it work. It was fun to watch their dynamic just because it was a masters class in how to bring two competing ways of thinking together to solve a problem. That said, I completely understand why they couldn't keep it going and why it might be grating to watch sometimes.

Tori, Grant and Kari just had so much fun together. You could tell (probably unlike Jamie and Adam) they woke up each day looking forward to going to work. Grant was a relatable nerd. He knew his shit, but knew it in a way that wasn't off putting. How he went about solving problems was brilliant. The world lost a great ambassador of STEM.

maumann likes this.
  10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

FTFY

2muchcoffeeman, Driftwood and maumann like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I met him a couple of times. He was a genuinely nice person IRL.

Rest.

Spartan Squad, Driftwood and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted