1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Myron Cope

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bagelchick, Feb 27, 2008.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

His voice was like nails on the chalk board to this Browns fan. I can't say I'll miss him, but damn did he dominate a broadcast.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I honestly cannot see how anyone who does not root for the Steelers can take Myron for more than five minutes.

But I can listen to him for hours. ;D

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow. Just another reason for me to not like Madden.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Madden use to call Myron "point 21 Cope" in relation to his DUI arrests, so this really doesnt surprise me. What saddens me is that the sheeple that are Yinzers continue to flock to this guy.

That said, I once made Madden throw a phone in utter disgust. So I have that going for me...

5. markvid

markvid Guest

You gotta share with the rest of the class....

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

at the risk of outing myself, I was an intern one summer at ESPN Radio in their promotions department. One of my duties was to handle the phones during their contests. They'd give two trivia question hints; one at the top of the hour and one at 20 after. You could call in and win only after both clues were given. So, my job for the first five minutes of every hour was to answer and say, "sorry pal, but you gotta be the first caller after both clues."

Madden had a phone in his studio that also rang, despite being shown repeatedly how to turn off the ringer. Well, one Friday I'm in and they give the trivia hint. Phone starts ringing and the producer is literally uploading sound where the phone is...and he's standing and I cant get around him. And he's giving me the, "sorry man, I'll be done in just a minute..." Meanwhile, I'm trying to get around the guy and can't. Its one of those odd situations where the guy isn't blocking you on purpose, but you cant get to what you need because of how a room is set up.

Meanwhile, as the phone continues to ring in the booth, it's ringing during Madden's opening monologue in the studio. Well, it was ringing, until I heard "BLAM!" and glanced up in time to see it sliding down a wall. "I just threw the GODAAM PHONE because no one around here know how to do their GODDAM job." Producer stops, turns and looks at me and says, "sorry, man."

For the next two days I'm getting calls from friends saying, "I dont know what was funnier: hearing him bitch about it or knowing he was bitching about it because of you." I'll give Mark this though: next time I was in it was like it never happened.

7. T2

T2 Member

The following story appeared today on the satirical Carbolic Smoke Ball website.

http://carbolicsmokeblog.blogspot.com/

After welcoming Steelers broadcaster and Pittsburgh icon Myron Cope into His loving embrace last Wednesday, God admitted today that He never intended him to become a broadcaster.

“I try to temper the gifts I give to My children to keep them humble,” the Almighty explained. “For example, I came up with the concept of the dumb blonde --- great physical beauty, but a little light on brain power. For someone like Hines Ward, I gave him pass-catching skills and a love of hitting people, but I made him a few inches too short for Ben's [Roethlisberger] liking. For Mark Madden -- well, I can't really think of any positives."

“When I was forming Myron in My own image (more or less), I gave him exceptional writing skills, but then I paired those skills with that God-awful voice. No pun intended.”

In 1970, God made a fateful decision: He put Cope on the radio. “"When you've been in this business as long as I have, you learn you need to keep things light-hearted, and I thought all of us would get a laugh from subjecting millions of innocent people to Myron's voice. But instead of hating it, people loved him. Yoi and double yoi.”

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ha. Nice.

Sounds just like Madden, throwing an unprofessional little tantrum on the air. Glad he didn't give you any more grief over something that wasn't your fault, but I'm willing to bet that was more his own gutlessness than him suddenly being reasonable.

Then again, I have now graduated to hating the guy, so I'm biased.

I have no problems whatsoever with him making fun of a public figure for getting a DUI. You get arrested for DUI, you deserve it.

But to take shots the day Cope died....

9. I'd love to say I wasn't suprised by Madden's comments, but I didn't think that even that fat, talentless slob would have the mutzpah to say something negative about Myron the day he died. The thing about Madden, he can take the unpopular and ratings-getting stance on things because he knows Pittsburgh is pretty fickle and divided in it's loyalties. So, he can get away with ripping Cowher, a potential hall of fame coach, and even Hines Ward. There are plenty of fickle fans who have his back. He shouldn't have gone where he went with Cope, and he certainly shouldn;t have goen there when he did. There is no division in Pittsburgh about Cope. Hell, even Browns fans are here commenting on Cope, and in a positive light.

Draft saved Draft deleted