1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Myron Cope

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bagelchick, Feb 27, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

One of my favorites used by Cope countless times when the Bengals played down to their less than storied history.

"And the Cincy Bungels, who we have come to know and love over the years..."

I also heard in one of the clips...

"This is the best the Stilllers have looked since the win over the Cleveland Sandlotters, humm ha, but we know those games don't count."

2. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Ain't that the God's honest truth.
    I used to live in Pittsburgh, and they would trot out a clip once in a while of a Steelers-Saints game where Fakir Brown ran back an interception.
    Cope couldn't pronounce his name correctly, and it sounded fantastically obscene.
    I had to pull my car over, I was laughing so hard.
    RIP from a Browns fan and a journalist who appreciated his writing.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Moments like that always had me thinking he knew exactly what he was doing and that the schtick allowed him to get away with things other announcers couldn't pull off.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Nice column by Bob Hertzel.

http://www.timeswv.com/wvu_sports/local_story_059015807.html?keyword=secondarystory

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Madden apparently shot off his mouth yesterday and now is backtracking.
    Oooops.

6. outofplace

Any idea what he said?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Geez, insulting Cope on the day he died is doucheness of the highest order. It's also liable to get every sponsor of your show to cancel ads ... providing you aren't killed by a crazed Steelers fan.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

The gist was that sports talk radio in Pittsburgh is better today because of people like Madden than when Myron was doing it.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

With hyperbole like that, Madden should go back to professional rasslin'.

And I found that soundclip of Cope that I love so dearly ... http://www.networksandwebapplications.com/myron/Sounds/contempt.wav

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Please don't mention that pro wrestling beat writer on this thread.

Seriously, Myron deserves better.

11. outofplace

I was afraid of that. It fits right in with two of his favorite themes -- bragging about himself and talking shit on everybody else.

I used to just think he was a pathetic, loudmouth coward who embodies everything that is wrong with sports talk radio, but not worth the emotional investment to hate him. I still think most of that is true, but now I really hate the fat slob.

Draft saved Draft deleted