1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Muhammad Ali

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yep. Other than some oddball fights in the early 20th century, it might be the weirdest place to ever stage a heavyweight title fight.
    It's also part of the reason people think that fight was fixed. That was the infamous "Phantom Punch" fight. There's conspiracy theories out there that say it was in Lewiston to keep the scrutiny a bit lower. IIRC, their first fight was in Miami.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A lot of it, I imagine, was know the can already, but that was an impressive piece of writing by Tim Dahlberg in the obit.

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Vombatus likes this.
  4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This has been a horrid year for losing celebrities across the spectrum.

Tweener likes this.
  5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Most famous human ever?

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Who was the last truly iconic sports figure to die? I was born after 1975, so I wasn't around for Ali's heyday, but I can't remember someone's this legendary passing. Maybe I have a poor memory.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The only other one on his level as far as being legendary goes is Pele and he's still with us.

Tweener likes this.
  8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Good call.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yogi Berra.

heyabbott likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In America alone perhaps. But Ali was beloved on every continent. It helped that he came along post-WWII, post-TV and pre-cable and Internet.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am in Bordeaux, France right now, and Ali's death is the lead story on all the TV news channels, even though the Seine is flooding and the most celebrated parts of Paris could be underwater today. They shut down the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay to move some art to higher ground. So yes, I believe he was the most famous athlete in history. At the British newspaper the Guardian, it was speculated he might also have been the most photographed human being in history. Whoever met him without at least trying to get a snapshot?

Draft saved Draft deleted