1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Muhammad Ali

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 3, 2016.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I checked that out earlier and was greeted with a story headlined "Bill Clinton In-And-Out run-in with Chris Brown baby mama."

So, no, no news on Ali yet.

Smallpotatoes and Vombatus like this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think this is simply a rope-a-dope strategy with the Grim Reaper. Keep your bets on Ali.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well, I guess they have to focus on what really matters.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've never seen the man box, but damn, I'll be heartbroken if/when he's gone. That's the power of Muhammad Ali. He transcended his sport in a way no other athlete ever has.

Ali and Foreman are two of my prized autographs and I didn't have to pay a dime for either of them. I wrote them each a letter requesting their signatures when I was 14 and both sent them back (Foreman autographed my SI after he knocked out Moorer, Ali signed an 8x10).

Hope he's not gone yet.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He's training for his next opponent, Harambe.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

While we wait ... I offer this link to one of my favorite Sports Illustrated stories, ever.

George Plimpton observed Ali's training for his 1970 return fight with Jerry Quarry. His article appeared a few weeks later in the Nov. 23, 1970 issue (unfortunately, SI's Vault website does not link to the article, so I have to link to the issue):
    SI Vault - Nov. 23, 1970 - Page 90

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I haven't heard that in ages. Thank you.

old_tony likes this.
  10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Has a nice little reggae feel to it. For a novelty song it was really well done.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Twitter is a little melodramatic right now: "Crazy that Muhammad Ali is dying." Is it really that crazy?

12. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth says hello.

Draft saved Draft deleted