1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mr. Wizard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by StormSurge, Jun 12, 2007.

1. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Damn, that sucks. RIP.

Is Bill Nye still with us?

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

I once got an "A," on a science project because I learned how to put a hard boiled egg into a coke bottle by watching his show. He was pretty cool. Sorry to hear he's gone. RIP.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

The one demonstration I remember from him was when he dropped the ping-pong ball into the contraption with a bunch of mousetraps more ping-pong balls. Supposed to show a chain reaction, IIRC.

Very sad to hear... RIP. :'(

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

This is the passig of an era. :'(

I probably watched at least 300 of his programs whilst growing up.

RIP.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Oh man. Not Mr. Wizard?

I learned more about science from Mr. Wizard and Bill Nye than all twelve of my science teachers combined in public school.

May Mr. Wizard perform science tricks to keep St. Peter busy forever. You have lived a wonderful life.

:(

7. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I had no idea Mr. Wizard was still alive.

8. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I still can hear his voice. Great memories of watching that show. Always that same freaking kitchen.

10. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

Remember watching his show on Nick nearly every day when I was a kid. RIP.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And the new Mr Wizards...

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/mythbusters.html

This is one of the few programs I have seen that shows the scientific process (control group, hypothesis, etc...) to people, and they also show that an experiment failing is a very important part of science. Using the failure to eventually find a way to succeed is the heart of science.

I think Nye does something for Disney. I think I saw him when I was flipping channels through the high-def stations. He also is part of an Epcot ride. He's still kicking around.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I remember an SCTV skit where John Candy was playing a very hungover Mr. Wizard. He was explaining some gizmo to a kid:

"This is a whoredo, Billy."

"What's a whoredo, Mr. Wizard?"

"Depends how much you pay her, Billy."

Draft saved Draft deleted