1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Mr. Blackwell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Oct 20, 2008.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Mr. Blackwell, the acerbic designer whose annual worst-dressed list skewered the fashion felonies of celebrities from Zsa Zsa Gabor to Britney Spears, has died. He was 86.

Publicist Harlan Boll says Blackwell died Sunday of complications from an intestinal infection.

Blackwell, whose first name was Richard, was a little-known dress designer when he issued his first tongue-in-cheek criticism of Hollywood fashion disasters for 1960—long before Joan Rivers and others turned such ridicule into a daily affair.

Year after year, he would take Hollywood's reigning stars and other celebrities to task for failing to dress in what he thought was the way they should.

[​IMG]

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D93U1P9G0&show_article=1

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Noooooooooo!!!!!! Man, I loved him, even if he only put celebs who were safe in their clothing choices on his best dressed list.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

moves right to the top in the race for worst-dressed corpse of 2008.

(too soon?)

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Forget the the worst dressed list - I think his worst claim to fame is spawning a quasi-industry of uninformed, snarky fashion criticism from Coju to Joan Rivers et. al.
    RIP dude.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A girl at work told me this tonight and I said "NOOOOOOOOO! I loved Mr. Blackwell!" And the only guy left on desk didn't know who he was.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When Stewie grows up, he's got a 70% chance to be Mr. Blackwell.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Now he will be analyzing the angels' robes and wings.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Perhaps one of the first examples of a media-created celebrity, someone who was famous for pretty much no reason whatsoever other than someone once thought he was entertaining.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Phew. For a moment, I thought we'd lost one of the great mustaches of the early 1980s.

[​IMG]

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy crap. What a get.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If there's justice, etc. ...

"A dignified black suit in a casket with light blue upholstery and pinkish rouge on the death mask?

All wrong!

Do not pass go, head straight to fashion hell, Mr. Blackwell! That $10 suit is so bad, worms won't eat it."

RIP to a man who launched a cottage industry of vapidity.

Draft saved Draft deleted