1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I met Maury Chaykin at the Hooters in downtown Toronto in 2002. He was by himself, reading. I found that very odd.

I was slightly drunk and was trying to engage him with his lines from My Cousin Vinny. He wanted nothing to do with me.

Hermes likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I read this in Larry King’s voice.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

BOSTON (AP) — Six Dr. Seuss books — including “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” and “If I Ran the Zoo” — will stop being published because of racist and insensitive imagery, the business that preserves and protects the author’s legacy said Tuesday.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Hot take: Most of Dr. Seuss’ books suck.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They’re incredibly useful for emerging reading skills.

Mngwa likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The stories I saw this morning were talking about the racist imagery, but none of it was telling WHAT was racist or how. And I couldn't remember those specific books. So my initial reaction was thinking that this was the latest case of something being labeled racist on specious grounds.

But then I googled up some of the pages from the books. ... and man, are some of them bad. Like really bad. The drawings of the Chinese people in “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street,” did not age well at all.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

About the only Dr. Seuss I can even remember is the Grinch and Green Eggs and Ham. I couldn't tell you a thing about the canceled books if you put my head in a vice. Unfortunately, the people who will be up in arms about it will be in the same boat as me in terms of familiarity, but they'll run with the grievance just the same.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That is not a hot take, @bigpern23

Don’t bring logic and the reading experience of millions of children into this.

Next take: Shel Silverstein eats Dr. Seuss for breakfast. AND he hated children, which scores him bonus points in the weird department.

( Editor’s note: @Hermes ‘s two-year old son is having a dress up week based on Dr. Seuss themes at daycare this week and @Hermes is sick of trying to find wacky outfits and hats for a belligerent toddler every morning at 7 a.m. So fuck Dr. Seuss.)

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dartmouth will kick your ass!

[​IMG]

Hermes likes this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m not scared of people who received rejection letters from their top four choices of Ivy League schools!

justgladtobehere likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There's a tweet joke for that.

Hermes likes this.
  12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Really disappointed Kevin Sorbo didn’t get hit by a car in this one, like the end of “God’s Not Dead.”

Draft saved Draft deleted