1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Moses Malone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Sep 13, 2015.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

odd to see that a future three-time MVP was traded by the Blazers and then the Braves before he found a home in Houston. allegedly the trade to Houston happened in part because Buffalo had two feuding owners, one who liked Moses and one who didn't. The one who didn't like him traded Moses when the one who liked him was out of town.

Liut likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The fact that he played until 1995 is staggering.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"Played" is a strong word.

His career was, for all intents and purposes, over after his back injury in 1991.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He logged 149 minutes on an NBA court in the year he turned 40.

I know it's common for big guys to hang around forever, but for a guy with that playing style and those minutes beginning at age 19, that is pretty remarkable.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I've long been fascinated by the circumstances you put forth in this post. Any chance John Y. Brown was the owner that didn't like Malone? As in the John Y. Brown who later nearly drove Red Auerbach out of his mind and to the Knicks?

Among my ABA Topps cards is Malone with the Utah Stars. RIP, Moses.

6. MisterCreosote

Sustaining 8 minutes per game for one-fifth of an NBA season isn't that remarkable. Robert Parish at 40 played more than 25 minutes per game for almost an entire season.

What WAS remarkable is that the last shot of Malone's career was an 80-foot three-pointer.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I only remember watching him from my first season following the NBA, which was 1987-88. That was his last year as a Washington Bullet.

It wasn't until later that I began to get a grasp of his career before I began to follow sports.

R.I.P.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Anyone who only saw the last half of his career would be stunned to see stuff from his early career. Instead of the big, bulky guy he became, he was a thin and wiry guy who could jump. And it wasn't that he was a high jumper so much as a quick jumper. He could go up, come down and go back up again before most guys were going up the first time. (OK, that might be an exaggeration, but you get the idea.)

9. MisterCreosote

Yeah. The way I put it to my wife the other day was that Moses at his best was every bit as quick and relentless as Dennis Rodman, but bigger and stronger, AND could score 50 every night if he had to.

10. MisterCreosote

Also, one of my favorite stats of all-time:

Dipshit Harold Katz traded Malone and two first-round draft picks to Washington for Jeff Ruland before the 1986-87 season. Malone scored more points in his first six games with the Bullets than Ruland scored the rest of his career.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I looked it up. He was in Buffalo for six days, played two games for a total of six minutes, and was traded again.

Not exactly one of the best moves ever done in basketball history.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Here it is:

Draft saved Draft deleted