1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Molly Ivins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Going to a birthday party Saturday for a woman my wife used to work with. She's been fighting breast cancer. Wonderful lady. The end is in sight.

Do as Molly and 21 say. Please.

2. And yet Curtis Wilkie became Jim McDougal's last sucker on the phony Whitewater "scandal."

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Almost always agreed with her, especially on "Shrub," and yes, she was a helluva writer. With a lot of pluck and personality. And a fellow Texan. (Native, in my case.) RIP, Molly.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Don't know how long the Texas Observer will have this up on their front page, but here's something that Ivins fans might appreciate.

http://www.texasobserver.org/

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Not to drag up an old thread, but I was doing feminist research tonight and came across a video featuring Ivins talking about Texas' crazy sex laws. Apparently you can't buy a dildo in Texas, but you can buy a "condom educational model."

Anyway, Ivins is in classic form in this video. If you don't want to watch all 11 minutes, just the first 1:30 is good enough.

And let me tag it NSFW due to language and images of "condom educational models."

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Awesome. And I had no idea about these such educational models being named as such. Wow.

And 6 or more implies intent to distribute. ha! So many jokes here.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Less than six and you're just a hobbiest!

8. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I didn't always agree with her viewpoint but it was very enjoyable to read her work. We need more people like her. I usually ignore a lot of political/satirical columnists because they are too extreme, but Molly was always a good read.

The profession can't afford to lose people like her.

9. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

What happens to a grocer if he carries more than six cucumbers? And then, there's that bit about the carved potato in one of the Gabriel Du Pre novels. I think this law is the result of someone in the Texas Department of Agriculture looking for ways to produce more revenue.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

If that grocer is male, he can be charged with a felony crime. Sodomy is illegal in Texas.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Overturned by SCOTUS in 2003 in Lawrence v. Texas.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

True, but at the time of that video it was still on the books, and Ivins does an excellent job of explaining how that came to be law.

Draft saved Draft deleted