1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mollie Sugden

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D.Sanchez, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm witcha, D. I remain a big fan of the show. Damn, that cast is going, going...

Really miss Inman. He was a hoot ("I'm free!"). Richards was far too young to go, and at her passing Sugden was quoted as saying that Richards was the closest thing she had to a daughter. Made me sad. Now, this.

Is Capt. Peacock still alive?

2. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Yes, Killick, Frank Thornton (Capt. Peacock) is still alive. I think he is 87.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Captain Peacock is quoted in the obit linked in the initial post.
    Very sorry to lose Mrs. Slocombe. I knew about Wendy Richard, but somehow I missed John Inman dying two years ago. The Philly PBS station used to bring him in for fundraisers, not that long ago. I remember once, the earnest cohost tried to question him about Mr. Humphries being one of the first flamboyantly gay characters on television. Inman looked at him wide-eyed and said: "You thought Mr. Humphries was GAY??!!!" Like, it was the first he'd heard of this ... I laughed for about 20 minutes.
    Wherever they are, I hope he's obeying Mrs. Slocombe's loudly stated wishes regarding his hands and her "pussy."

4. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Last surviving primary cast members are:
    Nicholas Smith (Mr. Rumbold)
    Trevor Bannister (Mr. Lucas)
    Frank Thornton (Capt. Peacock)
    Mike Berry (Mr. Spooner, replaced Bannister).

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Hell, I'm a young pup and I watched "Are You Being Served" on my local PBS station (and still do). Inman and Sugden were the show. I'm surprised that Nicholas Smith is still around. I knew Thornton was still alive.

AYBS, To the Manor Born, and Doctor Who (w/Tom Baker) was my initiation into British programming. Now, I'll sit and watch "The Vicar of Dibley" with a passion, but I demand my PBS to do everything in their power to bring back "Yes, (Prime) Minister." That was truly a great show.

6. vicd

vicd Active Member

Watching Ricky Gervais's "Extras" makes "Are You Being Served" even funnier.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Loved Are You Being Served, funny, funny shit. Shocked to hear about Wendy Richards. I believe she was also one of the early cast memebers in Eastenders.

Draft saved Draft deleted