1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Moe Drabowsky?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A note on Nationals.com mentions his death, I don't see it on any of the sites. Apparently, a real character. Some good stories about him in Ball Four.
    I knew he had cancer.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Pitched the game of his life for the Orioles in the '66 WS sweep of the Dodgers.

Later worked as a pitching coach, no small accomplishment for a guy who had a reputation for being a clown. I remember Doug Rader had managerial aspirations and shut down all the stories about his crazy days in the last years of his playing career. He felt the tight ass front office types wouldn't give him a shot at coaching or managing if he were tied to all the stories. Rader wouldn't talk about them any more and got pissed when guys like Norm Miller would willingly give them up.

I remember Jeff Torborg saying that Moe was in tough shape, so I suspect the news is sadly true.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.drabowsky11jun11,0,5099498.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Man always seemed like a great goofball, and still a classy guy.

RIP.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

The King of the Hot Foot, as I recall some of the tales.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I thought this meant Hank Azaria died.

What?

Oh, that's Moe Sczlak. My bad.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Moe made his MLB debut in the first MLB game I ever saw, live.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted