1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Modell's

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Liut, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

REI is a bit narrower focus and smaller square footage than Academy. Also, the co-op structure helps too.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There is a mall not far, built in the early 70s. The anchors are Sears (closing), macy's (life support) and large Modell's. It'll be an assisted living facility soon enough.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ours has gotten a splash of life thanks to the addition of a bowling alley and one of the state colleges that turned the old JC Penney's into a branch campus.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We have an Olympia Sports.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Or in a movie.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Before I left New England, the one near me was holding on by its fingertips.

I think the issue with all of the sporting goods stores is that places like Walmart and Target are eating their lunch, too, not just Amazon and online retailers. I used to go to Bob's and Olympia for things like athletic shorts, because the selection wasn't great at the non-specialized big box stores. Now though, I got a couple nice pairs for $5 to $10 each at Target. Basketball shoes, my last two purchases have been online, because the selection was so much greater and better than Olympia.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted