1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Milt Friedman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Nov 16, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/16/news/newsmakers/friedman/index.htm?cnn=yes

I wish the people who loved Friedman actually believed in fiscal discipline.

Libs may note that MF also opposed the Iraq war.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008690

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

RIP. He had it right. Free markets are the best, most efficient economies and afford people the best standard of living. He was a great man.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A titan among economists. He made “the dismal science” exciting.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

RIP, a great man. Not too many people change the world with their ideas. He did.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Friedman , Galbraith, and Keyes were the first things to come out of my high school economics class. My econ teacher made sure that we learned about those two guys before learning about macro and micro, and the law of diminshing returns.

They were economics' Mt. Rushmore. RIP to another econ giant with Galbraith leaving earlier this year.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A little tear is trickling down my cheek ... In all seriousness, however, there hasn't been a more influential thinker on economics in my lifetime. While the political implementation of his thoeries has caused a lot of unnecessary pain and devisiveness, the thinking itself was pure.

7. Wonderful.
    I can think of a couple hundred thousand Chileans who are happy the old bastard's dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted