1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Miller Barber

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great golfer and even better golfer

http://thegolfnewsnet.com/ryan_ballengee/2013/06/12/golf-legend-miller-barber-dies-age-82-3217/

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Whew. I definitely did a double take there.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Had one of the last great golfer nicknames "Mr. X"

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

A great guy who always had a story. Had dinner with him back in the '80s at a fancy-schmancy place in Chicago. At end of the dinner the waiter comes by with this special cart of after-dinner drinks and starts making his sales pitch, trying to impress us with, "There's only two bottles of this 1895 in the entire world," yada, yada.

Just for kicks, I suspect, Miller, who was as down-home as they come, says, "Let me ask you something. How much is that one?"

The waiter responds with something like, "This one here is . . . nine hundred and fifty dollars, sir."

Miller says, "I don't have enough friends to share a bottle like that," and the waiter comes back with, "That is not for the bottle, sir. That's for a shot."

Miller looked at the waiter as though he had two heads.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted