1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mike Wallace

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 8, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

R.I.P. to an icon from an era when we took our cue from trusted voices, before the cacophony of everybody's voice took over. As tough as Rather, without the baggage.

2. Mike Wallace interview of Roger Clemens from 4 years ago

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=3680216n

Even at his advanced age he had the professionalism, the steel spine and the wit to expose the Texas conman

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When I was a student at VCU, Mike Wallace rolled into town and recruited a couple of students (not me, unfortunately) to help him bust some shady company that was screwing people on background checks and the like. He must have been 70 then! Local papers ran stories about Wallace being in town but never figured out why until the story appeared.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just saw the 10-minute retrospective on Face the Nation by Morley Safer. I only knew him from 60 Minutes but what a life.

A true pioneer.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Game show host, radio announcer, actor, commercial shill, talk show host. He didn't take up "journalism" as we understand it today until he'd been in show business for 20 years.

The last of his kind, I'm afraid.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I loved this line from Safer:

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Great stuff. And the montage of his reactions to answers he was getting. Good, good stuff.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Mike Wallace, you were tough, but fair.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

St. Peter: Mike Wallace here to see you.

God: Uh, tell him I'm not here.

RIP

10. taller hack

taller hack Member

Great story: I got to meet Mike Wallace when I was in high school and spent the day @ the 60 Minutes offices. I sat across his desk from him, and he asked me what my future plans were. I told him that I was planning on going to journalism school after I graduated. No sooner had the words passed my lips when he gave me a look of great disgust and said in a very stern voice, "Journalism school is bullshit."

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, did you go to journalism school?

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Perhaps the greatest journalist/tv man of all time, and one of the 4 people on my fantasy dinner list. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted