1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mike Wallace

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 8, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

CBS has announced the 60 Minutes icon has died.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/mike-wallace-60-minutes-pioneer-dies/

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Just heard this. RIP to a great journalist.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's with only moderate peevishness (peeveosity?) I note that I understand why this was consolidated under another thread; I less understand how MIKE WALLACE dying doesn't belong on the journalism topics board.

But it's Sunday morning, and I'm only halfway through my coffee.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It is really more of a news item than a journalism topic. Plus it will probably get more traffic in sports and news.

RIP.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oh, and I have to admit, my first thought was that the Pittsburgh Steelers receiver did something stupid and died.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP. I didn't always agree with him, but I respected him, and he gave no quarter.

People are going to say he's a dying breed, and those people won't be wrong, but in a way, the legacy and he and his contemporaries lives on today. Network news is still infinitely more sane than its off-the-rocker cable cousins. Standards matter and Wallace helped make them matter.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Hearing the sound of a stopped stopwatch.

RIP.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I guess it's just my personal reader habits. I never visit this page.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's a news item whether you're a journalist or not.

I'm not sure where it ranks now but in its heyday it must have been the most watched shows on TV.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

SF, we're on the same page on just about everything. But this one belongs here. He was beyond journalist, a celebrity. This would make my wife go "damn."

And me. Damn. RIP

Actually, a thread on both boards wouldn't bother me in the least.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He was a talk show host who turned himself into a journalist. For all practical reasons, I don't think there is any difference between the two anymore.

Him and Don Hewitt now both gone. Definitely the end of an era.

Draft saved Draft deleted