1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mike Penner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Nov 28, 2009.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It definitely covers new territory, but still leaves some questions ... some of which just can't be answered.

2. oldfart

oldfart Member

How many more times is Lisa going to be forced to relive all this by writers and/or editors who can do little more than speculate on what she thought and did? It's time to let everyone rest in peace.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Mixed emotions...Mike was one of the most talented people I ever worked with, and a good friend. I regretted that, as people do, we lost touch when I left California.

So yeah, this rehashing sometimes seems unnecessary and hurtful to those who were close to him.

But it was a big story at the time with a lot of questions, and if it was somebody we didn't know, I don't think we'd be offended when somebody took another swing at getting to the heart of it all.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I agree. But I agreed more with this regarding previous stories.

That's because this one does seem to have more heart, more explanation, more effort, and more perspective.

It added some good input -- rather honest-sounding and soul-searching perspective, at that -- from former Times Sports Editor Randy Harvey, who, I'm sure, has indeed had to have wondered, "Did I/we do the right thing in encouraging Mike to let the world share, immediately, in a very public coming-out?"

It also did not all but ignore the relationship between Penner and Dillman, which, all along, was perhaps more key to the situation than even any gender identity problems. It included willing, better and more closely-connected sources who were more pertinent to Mike/Christine for reasons beyond just being a comparison between him and the few examples of other notable transgendered sports personalities. It also included Penner's/Daniels' actual doctor, instead of just some general trans-specialty doctor or psychologist serving as a generic "expert."

Without Dillman and/or others in Penner's family being willing to share more, it is doubtful that this story could not have been much better.

Perhaps the comfort that can, and should, be taken from all these stories being done is that what all these continued efforts show is that Mike did, in fact, make a great impact on many with his life.

In death, that is the very best thing that can ever really be said of anyone.

Isn't it?

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Good question. This story all but blames the suicide on her, but she isn't in the story. That bothers me.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Those of you who think this piece covers vast expanses of new ground didn't read GQ's attempt: http://www.gq.com/news-politics/mens-lives/201006/mike-penner-sportswriter-christine-daniels
    Also, any blame assertions need to/should stop. It's an unfair exercise in futility.

7. HanSenSE

Don't think we're looking for blame (although it looks like the transgender community was looking for a torchbearer like the AIDS community looked to Magic Johnson) as we are for an answer to one basic question: WTF happened to drive someone to punch their own ticket?

As for the leave it alone, it causes people pain theory: Gee, should we avoid all stories that might cause someone pain? That's not what I signed on for. I don't think anyone else did either. Taken to an extreme, we shouldn't write about Podunk beating Smallsville because Smallsville fans will be upset. Thus, we're all writing those thrilling headlines "Another puppy adopted at shelter."

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, HanSen. I see no good reason to continue to rehash this story.
    Why can't we let this troubled soul rest in pease.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

HanSen, that wasn't my reasoning.
    Please do me a favor. Never try to pull a parallel with those who have contracted HIV to those struggling with a transgender identity. It is absurdity on the highest level.

10. HanSenSE

I wasn't making the comparison between HIV and a transgendered person. I got the impression from the story that the transgender community was looking for a torchbearer, latched on Penner/Daniels and had trouble when he seemed unwilling playing that role.

I'm willing to agree to disagree ... got football previews to edit!

Draft saved Draft deleted