1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mike Flanagan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 24, 2011.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that, stg.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fuck that fucking Bill Madlock, the fucker. If Tony Fernandez is at short instead of Manny (Call Me Manuel) Lee, that play gets made.

RIP, Mike Flanagan. I know you'll always be an Oriole, but I loved watching you as a Jay.

[​IMG]

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://cardboardgods.net/2011/08/29/mike-flanagan/

[​IMG]

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

That was really good. I've been wanting to read that book Wilker wrote ever since someone linked it here.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I didn't expect that when I clicked on the link. That definitely struck a chord with me.

7. Herbert Anchovy

I was just talking to somebody about this. I love the book, I envy it and the writer. It has moments where it's untouchable, but it's marred by a hell of a lot of whininess near the end. A lot of memoirs seem to degenerate into this. Burrows' drinking memoir went the same way for me. It's fine and pure when it's dealing with the familiar story of a nerdy boy making his way through puberty and his love for baseball/cards. Beyond that, I have minimal interest.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, I finished the book last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Like LJB said, it has its whiny moments, but overall I thought Wilker pulled it off.

I just wish I'd had the idea first.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Same here.

That's two books you could write the hell out of, baseball cards and baseball in the '70s, that have been snapped up.

You snooze, you lose.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted