1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mike Flanagan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I hated the '83 Orioles for what they did to the White Sox, including Flanagan, who started a game in that series. As I have grown older, I obviously now appreciate what he was able to do with his god-given ability.

I'm drawing a blank here. Wasn't there another recent sports suicide. Not Dave Duerson. Someone else.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Irabu.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If true, suicide over the fortunes of his team is one of the saddest things imaginable.

Not to infer that I blame Peter Angelos for Flanagan's alleged suicide -- that's no one's fault but Flanagan's -- but can you imagine how he feels upon hearing that news?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was drawing a complete blank. I remember you and I talked about how MLB Network handled it. That's how I thought of it, because this morning it seemed they were also staying away from the suicide angle on Flanagan, though admittedly I just caught part of the coverage.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That was some good stuff about him. I was never an O's fan but I always admired those guys, Palmer, Flanagan, Boddicker, Davis, Dennis Martinez, Brooks, Boog, Elrod, Dempsey, even Weaver.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

People don't kill themselves because work sucks and they feel like they're being blamed for a company's woes. They kill themselves becuase they have some seriously messed up shit going on in their head.

Depression is a lot more complicated than "people think I was a bad GM." Can't believe WBAL went with that. And they clearly thought better of it since it's now erased from the story.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Should be interesting when that guy is around a bunch of other reporters tonight.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

AP said that Flanagan was having financial issues.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

no way angelos or anyone else with the o's should beat themselves up too badly over this. it's tragic, but if company owners blamed themselves every time an ex-employee offed himself... well, you get the idea.

obviously, much, much more was at work here than flanagan's failures as an orioles exec....

rip to a guy who, by all accounts, was a great and beloved teammate. prayers out to his family, his three daughters in particular. :'(

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A TV guy, show up at the ballpark? Only reason I passed it along here is since MLB Network (yes, the same MLB Network that didn't report on the death of a fan at an A's-Rangers game until a day after it occurred) mentioned it on Quick Pitch. The O's had been a trainwreck-in-progress before Flanagan's watch.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Coroner confirms suicide.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-obit-flanagan

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

The line about the body being difficult to identify b/c of its wounds made me shiver.

Draft saved Draft deleted