1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mike Flanagan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 24, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/28967968/detail.html

If true, even more tragic. RIP.
    *-WBAL sports director Gerry Sandusky.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow. Not that this isn't already awful, but that would add an almost incomprehensible layer of sadness to the story.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

God, I hope that's not true. I can't even begin to comprehend that being true. He was beloved in Baltimore, and still is.

Remember watching Flanagan pitch many times at Memorial Stadium as a kid. RIP.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Proof that you don't have to throw the ball 102 MPH to be a helluva pitcher.

RIP.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Tim Kurkjian's piece on ESPN.com is really, really good.

Personally, watching him on TV it never seemed like he was too happy with being in that booth this year. The team was shitty and it seemed all he could do to not say it. And they'd have been better if Peter Angelos trusted Flanny instead of his dickbag son.

That said, I don't think, or at least I hope, there was more to this than baseball.

Sad day in Baltimore. The guy cared more about the Orioles than anything else.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yep

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6894031/mlb-cy-young-winner-mike-flanagan-1951-2011

I'd been trying to remember the following anecdote so I could post it here. I'm glad Kurkjian had it:

Funny stuff. RIP.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

And, yes, down 3-1, the Pirates had no business winning that series. [/JimRooker]

One of the few times hitting trumped great pitching.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I think Flanagan also hung "Cy Clone" on Storm Davis when he broke in.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Don't forget Dennis Martinez, who led the AL in wins 1981. And someone mentioned Storm Davis as well.

I was never an Orioles fan, but I was always amazed by the talent and records on those staffs.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He cared more about the Orioles than the owner. Sad day here in Baltimore..

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bravo Kurkjian.

The Rick Dempsey story had me rolling.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Excellent stuff by Kurkjian. The one I liked was the Boddicker's fastball only being 82 in Canadian.

RIP to a very good pitcher from my youth, and full proof that no matter what the job is, it's just a job. Not your life.

Draft saved Draft deleted