1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Midwest City Sun; 10 out of work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 26, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The CNHI twice-weekly in the OkCity suburbs will publish its last edition Wednesday.

http://www.mwcsun.com/breakingnews/local_story_294125544.html

Apparently CNHI wasn't able to foist this one off on somebody else as it's done with many of its other non-dailies.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Good time for somebody there to get a businessman to start a new paper. There always will be a market for newspapers in a town with a high school and youth sports.
    Add the Sooners down the road and bam ... you can make it on the cheap.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Given how close Midwest City is to Okahoma City (it's likely a slightly-outlying suburb around Tinker AFB, much closer to OkC than Norman is) ... yeah, not so much.

And just glancing at their web site, it looks like they didn't staff OU in any way.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A twice weekly probably doesn't need to be staffing OU.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How else are you going to get big boy clips?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They covered several big high schools, including Midwest City, Del City and Carl Albert. But it's been my observation that fans of big suburban schools go to the big metro for news, and the big metro goes out of its way to cater to them. It's damned hard for a community paper to make inroads, and in this day and age, that's lethal for them.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

By doing a good, professional job on the assignments you're given, whether it's the Rose Bowl or a high school regional championship. The good ones find the great story.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'll assume you're new here and don't really know the ways of SportsJournalists.com.

That said, words or sentences in blue font on this board mean they are being written sarcastically. Stitch has been around long enough to know how to get the "big boy clips."

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

[​IMG]

Since we are unfamiliar with sarcasm, I shall close the register drawer now.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you the creator of Hi and Lois? Because you are making me laugh.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And we thank you

12. Sad news. I used to work with Lance back in the day. Great guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted