1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mickey Vernon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Sep 25, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Completely random Mickey Vernon reference:

I used to play a simulation game called MicroLeague Baseball on my dad's computer about 20 years ago as a kid. One of the teams that came with the original game disk was, inexplicably, the 1955 Senators. (The other historical teams included the 1927 Yankees up to 1975 Reds and Red Sox, plus Tigers and Phillies all-time greats.)

I used to try to beat all the great teams with those old Senators, and Vernon was the only player worth a damn. He always, always came through when I needed him.

I don't know why that's the first thought that pops into my head tonight, but it is.

RIP to a guy who always played his heart out, even in simulation baseball.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Only Buckweaver could pen a poignant obit centered around a simulated baseball game (I'm totally serious and complementary, not being snarky or cracking wise on your love of the game at all...for once).

RIP.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jose Valdivelso is punching a picture of Buckweaver and he doesn't know why.

RIP Mickey Vernon. A Hall Of Great player.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

MicroLeague Baseball kicked ass.

RIP, Mick.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, Roy Sievers should be punching that picture. But I was a lefty and Vernon was, too, so I always felt that kinship. Plus, Sievers always seemed to bounce into double plays with the bases loaded and that pissed me off. Who can beat the '69 Mets with a guy like that clogging up your lineup?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Had that same game. Roy Sievers was pretty good, too.

I would always put Killebrew in the lineup off the bench. Only hit about .200 that year, but had something like four homers in 75-80 at-bats.

RIP to a damn good ballplayer.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Am I an uber-nerd for admitting that Mickey Vernon platooned at first base for Cleveland in a recent 1958 playoff sim on my High Heat game? Vic Power slipped in there against lefties.

Top four teams from each league in case you were wondering why the Tribe was in, and I KNOW you were wondering.

Right now, the White Sox-Indians and Dodgers-Braves are battling in my '59 semis. Pale Hose and Dodgers each won Game 1.

I'm now going to drop any pretense that I've ever had sex with a woman.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

13,000 posts already gave that away ... ;)

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Mickey Vernon was a delightful old guy who had a great life. Until the last couple of weeks, he enjoyed good health and was very active.

He had a handful of ABs with the 1960 Pirates to become a four-decade guy, and was one of many who tried to manage the Washington Senators.

RIP, Mickey.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

First manager I remember.
    The Nats' pregame show had been doing some interviews with him. Talked about how he still drove, still played poker at 90.
    RIP.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Damn, Buck. I used to play that game on the Mac.

I even went in and plugged in all-time, all-star teams of the Original 16 and played a best of 7 tournament.

The Cardinals and the Red Sox, IIRC, were the last two teams standing.

And yes, I remember Mickey Vernon and the '55 Senators.

Draft saved Draft deleted