1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Michael Rubenstein

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by e_bowker, Dec 1, 2011.

1. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Longtime sports anchor in Jackson, Miss., died Wednesday night from a pulmonary embolism. He was only 60.
    Not sure how recognized he was outside of Mississippi, but within the state he was a very well-known figure. He was the sports anchor on Jackson's WLBT in the 1980s, then became executive director of the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame in 1996. He worked hard to get a nice facility built for it in Jackson and was its only director since it opened. It always seemed like he was at some college football game every fall Saturday as an ambassador for the hall of fame or to drum up some support for it.
    Funny guy, great MC for the hall of fame's various events and someone who truly loved Mississippi's rich sports history. He will definitely be missed.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20111201/NEWS/111201011/Sports-icon-Rubenstein-dies-blood-clot?

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Terribly saddened to read this news. Michael was a tremendous man. I may write more later, but right now, I've got to step away for a while.

3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Damned good guy who ran a tight ship at the Hall of Fame. They couldn't asked for a better ambassador. He will be missed.

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Oh my. Rube was a heck of a guy. Just an absolute gem. I'm speechless. Many, many years ago when I moved to Mississippi, Rube was one of the first guys I met and was a tremendous ambassador for the state and a valuable resource for a new guy who needed a crash course in the state's rich sports history. I couldn't have asked for a better guy to steer me. RIP, Rube.

5. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Thursday was a sad day for sports in Mississippi. Rube was a great guy who absolutely loved Mississippi, for all its quirkiness and great people. I moved here in 1984 and couldn't believe how good he was as a sports anchor. Loved to watch his shows and the "Sports Journal" Sunday night program he created. And then he turned that passion into building the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. The building absolutely would not exist if not for his passion and hard work. Our columnist, Rick Cleveland, wrote about Rube in today's paper:
    http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20111202/COL0504/112020356/A-sports-icon-we-will-miss-dearly?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

Draft saved Draft deleted