1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Merlyn Mantle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Long-suffering wife of The Mick, an Alzheimer's victim at 77:

http://www.wgntv.com/sports/sns-ap-bbo-mantles-widow-dies,0,6988443.story

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

This is on the baseball thread -- appropriately No. 7 -- smasher, but I have no probem with a separate for a strong woman who was one of those baseball wives who know of and put up with all of her husband's transgressions and foibles, and undersatood his family history and what made him the way he was.
    An absolutely wonderful woman and, as buckweaver said on the baseball thread, a saint.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Just FYI, I don't read the baseball threads (too much useless, "Sonofabitch, Drew pops out" games-in-progress fanboi shit) and I hate when people bury legitimate news in them.

If there's news, please post it separately for those of us who don't plow through those threads. Sorry for the interruption.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agree 100%, smasher.
    This should not be lost on the baseball thread.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Well said.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I agree that news like this deserves a separate thread. But there's no need to throw the baseball thread under the bus.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Just offering an opinion. It wasn't gratuitous, I was making a point.

Meanwhile, here's the more detailed NY Daily News obit on Mrs. M:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/08/11/2009-08-11_merlyn_mantle.html

Draft saved Draft deleted