1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Merlin Olsen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trouser_Buddah, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That scene gave me nightmares that my house was going to catch fire. I used to think that she was breaking the window with the baby's head. I could only watch it a couple more times before I would just switch the channel when that scene was coming on.

I found an interview with Hersha Parady, the actress who played Alice, in which she talks about her career, and the filming of that scene:

http://www.zunshine.com/littlehouse/parady.html

RIP to Merlin. I used to really enjoy his broadcasts with Enberg, and liked him on Little House as well. Unfortunately, I never watched Father Murphy.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

69, way too young. He projected as much dignity as I've ever seen in a celebrity.

3. Well said.

4. RIP. Half of the Fearsome Foursome are now gone (Lamar Lundy died in 2007). Rosey Grier and Deacon Jones are still around.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Funny Grier loved to crochet and Olsen sold flowers. Not what you would expect from the fearsome foursome.

Trivia question when Grier retired who took his spot?

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'll bite. Roger Brown?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes - Roger Brown of Paper Lion fame

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is worth remembering that back in the '60s, Olsen was considered the BEST player of the four. That's measured against Deacon Jones. If they removed 9 out of every 10 plaques in Canton on performance grounds, Olsen would easily make the cut.

10. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

I am shocked and saddened. I was a big Rams fan as far back as the mid 60's and he actually anchored 2 seperate front fours of note....don't forget Youngblood-Brooks-Olsen-Dryer. They were a main reason LA had one of the best defences in the NFC for a number of years.

A real role model.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

First Willie Davis, then Merlin Olsen.
    If Jerry West dies this week, every LA sports fans 45 and up may as well just hang it up.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

A lineman's lineman. He was one of the best. Also did a lot for the floral industry. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted