1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Merle Harmon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BadgerBeer, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Lorn Brown was one of those guys who kept getting hired because he'd had MLB jobs. Apparently no one noticed that he wasn't very good, so the mistake just repeated itself.

There was a Merle Harmon Fan Fare store in the Water Tower mall in Chicago, too.

<i><b>You know, I wonder how a guy like Harmon would fare in broadcasting today, where the Joe Bucks of the world are at least as much entertainers as journalists?</i></b>

Not well. Nor would Ray Scott and some of the other classic play-by-play voices. These days, you do some play-by-play, but basically carry on a conversation with the analyst. Then again, guys who wrote lengthy, detailed game stories couldn't get away with that sort of thing today, either. Times change.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I remember being at a Brewers-White Sox game at Comiskey Park in April of '81. I was in college at the time and a friend from my dorm floor was flying to meet his parents over the Easter weekend and I was giving him a ride to O'Hare. Two other friends came along for the ride because the Brewers were playing in Chicago and we decided to go to the game.

I was sitting next to this very nice family and talking with the mom. She asked how we liked Lorn Brown. I told her not much, that I thought he was a lot better when he was in the White Sox booth before coming to Milwaukee. She told me they had the exact same experience. They thought he was really good on St. Louis radio doing Cardinals games but once he started doing White Sox games they couldn't stand him. Like Piersall said, he had a great voice. But once you listened to him you realized he was an idiot.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, most of the old-timers started in radio, where the announcer had to paint pictures with words.

With all the camera angles and graphics used today, it seems like the play-by-play announcer just fills time between promos for upcoming shows and commercial breaks.

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I grew up north of Milwaukee but the times my parents would take us to Mayfair were the best. Back in the early 70's people did not eat fast food very often and I can remember clearly how cool it was to get a burger and some fries at the Mayfair McDonald's and watch the people skate. I am about to sound like a grumpy old man but those were simpler times and as far as I am concerned wonderful times.

5. RIP, Merle.
    The flag's at half-staff at Ernie von Schledorn's today.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Who do you know wants to buy a car?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

"Main Street in Menomonee Falls!"

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I really thought this was going to end with "...and then she told us she was Lorn Brown's mom."

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So did I. Would have made for an awesome story.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sorry to disappoint, guys. Based on age I would have had to worry about her being Lorn's sister.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I've seen it all ... an EvS reference on SportsJournalists.com.

Next up, 276-66..66 ... One call, that's all!

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

That guy kinda creeps me out. I prefer Daniel Kondos... 444-44...44.

Draft saved Draft deleted