1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Merle Haggard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Had tickets to go see him about 15 years ago. Can't remember why I gave them away. Wish I had seen him perform.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

To be a teenage boy in 1950 Bakersfield ...

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Only a great song like "Okie From Muskogee" can make non-fans of that genre appreciate it.

RIP, Merle.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I was on both of their websites last night, looking at tour dates for this very reason. I got a chance to see him sing a couple of songs at a fundraiser for the Hall of Fame a few years back.

I'd see Berry this weekend, but he's in Denmark and Moscow. He'll be back in St. Louis in about a month.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The 1b. to BB King as artists who've had the most musical influence on me as a young adult.

Inky_Wretch and YankeeFan like this.
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

RIP, Merle.

Based solely on his songs, it's interesting that he seems to have become more liberal as he got older.

Probably that stretch in the pokie.

7. Songbird

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"I turned 21 in prison doin' life without parole...." doesn't get more hardcore badass than that

9. Songbird

The Dead played it live 300+ times.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Old 97's do a good version of it too.

EStreetJoe likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Merle was the real country I grew up on. Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, Buck Owens, Tammy Wynette, Possum, etc. Then I heard 2112 and pushed away from country music for a couple of decades. I was in on the ground floor of the alt-country boom, and about 20 years ago I got to see Cash and June Carter before their health problems caught up with them and took them from this mortal coil.

On trips across country alone, when I get tired of my CD collection and fighting fleeting FM signals, I'll tune in to an AM station playing country gold and listen to the world I knew long ago.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

One of the guys I work with thought he was a part of The Highwaymen.
    I wanted to smack him.

Draft saved Draft deleted