1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mean Gene

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanielSimpsonDay, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I bet the Junkyard Dog would've beaten the 19th-ranked juco team lol

2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

The way they played, Vince, Stephanie, Gordon Solie, Jim Ross and Roddy Piper would have run their candy asses out the gym

Songbird likes this.
  3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Here is another funny outtake.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The outpouring of love for Mean Gene on social media might be more than Prince got. Says a lot.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just switched to Raw in a break in the Alabama-Clemson game and caught Hulk Hogan's eulogy for Mean Gene delivered in the ring before a sellout crowd. Amazing!

John B. Foster likes this.
  6. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

I missed the first part of it. I can’t wait for WWE to post it and the video montage. No matter how bad the product is at times, their video production is almost always top notch.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The script, well, it ended with Hulk saying that up in heaven Gene is calling a tag team match with the deceased superstars of their time. Within the confines of this insane universe, genuinely moving.

8. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Hogan has his faults, most wrestlers do, but man he still can cut a promo. And it was a perfect eulogy for his dear friend, Mean Gene.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As I said in the wrestling thread, unfortunately, it’s one of the best things they do.

Okerlund tribute was wonderful. Hogan was presented well and didn’t hog the spotlight and make it about him.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

You are older than I thought

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm older than I thought, too.

(First newsroom job, 1976.)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  12. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

I watched both tributes on the app this morning. I can’t really add anything that hasn’t already been said in either thread. Well done.

Draft saved Draft deleted