1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mean Gene

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanielSimpsonDay, Jan 2, 2019.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Ok...sports front ...lead celebrity note or lead sports page 2 note?

2. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

Depends on the city. In Minneapolis, Atlanta, and a few other cities, you could make the argument for sports front.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I put it in a briefs package on the sports front. Small paper, small section today.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Front page of the Times' sports section on the web page this morning.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Back in the Bockwinkel / Hennig / Gagne days of the Minneapolis-based AWA, I worked with Gene a couple times. Local telethons, I think.

Maybe it's worth remembering that professional wrestling was kind of charming then, almost entirely local and regional. AWA used to tape their shows out at the Calhoun Beach Club - a hotel on Lake Street - in the old WTCN studios there.

Rest now.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wow, had totally forgotten about this. He was brilliant here and if you can start a somber thing like this with the phrase "I concur with Tugboat" and keep a straight face you can sell anything.

7. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

The local shop gave ran it on sports front, but the ASE is a wrestling fanatic and a good friend, so he gets a pass.

Still....

Dusty Rhodes? Hell, yes! He made a ton of local appearances. Ric Flair when he "Woo"s the final time? Hell yes, because he's $#)**&#$ Ric Flair.

But when an wrestling announcer with no local connection gets more play and column inches than three local teams playing that day, one of which is the 19th ranked juco team in the nation losing at home....well, I just sit back right easy and laugh....

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was 17 during that storyline. My eyes were rolling so much, it’s a miracle they’re not stuck that way.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

So you did not concur with Tugboat?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nah, I concurred with the Shockmaster.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

A moment for eternity. Flair was laughing his ass off.

John B. Foster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted