1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP McNair (Let's try to keep this civil.)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by greenlantern, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Salmani said her beautiful, raven-haired niece believed that McNair was in the process of getting a divorce.

Kazemi's sister told The Florida Times-Union of Jacksonville that Kazemi had expected to wed McNair.

"She said they were planning to get married," Soheyla Kazemi told the paper."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2009/07/06/2009-07-06_untitled__3mcnair06m.html#ixzz0KURFiEQf&D

None of the work McNair did on the field must have been as good as the lines he was feeding the chippy these past six months.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Chippy? Are you sure she wasn't a dame?

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I see the last play differently. If a QB has no timeouts and doesn't throw into the endzone, he failed.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I wasn't putting that on Dyson as if it was his fault. I think everyone agrees Dyson did all he could.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Gee, uh, Boom, where's your complaint patrol here?

The man left his family for a trophy wife.
    She was 10 when he played in the Super Bowl.
    Put this into perspective.
    Stupid decisions can bring consequences, even tragic ones. I hate it happened. Someone, a friend perhaps, should have straightened him out before hand.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Bravo.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I agree. Bill Rhoden in the NYT wrote something like "this story was supposed to end with McNair as a Hall of Famer" and I just didn't see that at all, tragic death or not.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Here's the Rhoden column, the predictable hero worship tribute. Judge the athlete, not the man, etc.

At the end, he makes mention of how two people lost their lives, a wife lost her husband, four boys lost their father, and two parents lost a daughter.' Has it not been widely reported that she came to this country after her parents were killed in Iran? Hate to ruin a nice line, but that seemed glaringly wrong.

9. I used to think McNair was a HOF'er but after looking at his stats not so sure. Hall of Pretty Good for sure though.

His wife is pleading ignorance of his affair. I call Bullshit.
    The complex residents thought McNair lived there. He and the mistress went on vacation together.
    I think McNair's wife's ignorance is more a case of willful blindness.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I wondered about this too, but it's entirely possible they were separated without her knowing he had a serious relationship with someone else.

Men with a lot to lose (financially) in a possible divorce tend to cover up those little details.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

for all of us csi wannabes, the idea that a third party did this doesn't make much sense to me. mcnair allegedly had several guns, correct? there were no reported signs of a struggle of any kind, correct? he was found sitting in a chair or on a sofa, correct?

if it was a third party can any of us conceive of mcnair just sitting there and getting shot multiple times by an intruder or even an ex-boyfriend or pissed off boyfriend of another girl?

this csi wannabe might be proven wrong when the gunshot residue tests are in but this would seem pretty open and shut.

we already the girl was capable of drinking. she's a bit loaded, confronts mcnair about his intentions. he tells her, "i'm not marrying you, babe," or whatever. she goes crying into the bedroom, comes out a few minutes later, and pop pop pop pop.

one more self-inflicted pop to the head.

case closed. next case.

oh, and GREAT caruso/miami scripts, buds! 8) 8) 8)

LATE ADD: MCNAIR A HOF'ER???? NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!!

12. A separation is a horse of another color. But initial accounts said he was married (I think I might have even read happily) not separated and usually, a separation is noted.

I think she knew what the hell was going on and tended to ignore it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.