1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, McDonald's Dollar Menu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 24, 2013.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

My dad used to raise a stink because he'd order the 49-cent fish sandwich without cheese, and then bitch because they wouldn't give him a dime off for the cheese.

"If I order a hamburger, it's 59 cents, right? And if I order a cheeseburger, it's 69 cents, right? Then that cheese has to be worth 10 cents. So why shouldn't I get that fish sandwich without cheese for 39 cents?"

Meanwhile, the stoned, pimply-faced counter boy was wondering why he put up with that shit for $3.35 an hour, and our whole family was getting the extra-special tartar sauce put on our fish sandwiches in the back.

Great memories.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Still $1.50 for a Burger King double cheeseburger, flame broiled. No "dollar" menu but a "value" menu. Maybe BK has trademarked "Value Menu." I dunno.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only difference between a McDouble and a Big Mac is the special sauce, lettuce and the middle piece of bread. Both have the two all-beef patties, cheese, pickles, onions and the sesame-seed bun. The McDouble was $1 and a Big Mac is $3.99 last I checked.

McDonald's is so unsatisfying to me nowadays. It's like the food just goes poof in my belly. I could probably eat there for a week and never have to shit.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

There hasn't been a dollar menu in Canada for a long time. I think the double cheeseburger is something like $1.39. I remember when they still had 69 cent cheeseburger Sunday up here, it was glorious. Then in my second year of college they ended it. That was a truly terrible day for me.

And I cannot imagine eating a filet o fish. Most disgusting looking thing in the world.

They do two things worth going there for, the bacon and egg mcmuffin and their coffee now is damn good, as far as fast food coffee goes. I will take it every time over Tim's, which is almost sacrilegious to say up here.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It was a for-hours thing, not a quick send.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I once was a judge in a sweet tea competition in Alabama. The sweet tea at McDonalds is better than 95% of the entrants in the competition. And that's not a knock on the sweet tea in Alabama. McDonalds' sweet tea is that damn good. A dollar, two dollars, three dollars. I'll pay it. Same for the Filet o' Fish.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Then revoke my citizenship because Tim's is the WORST coffee in Canada.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Philistine.

McDonald's coffee is pretty good.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Old Tony, I agree 100 percent. The late Ray Kroc is spinning because of this outrage.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wonder how much the Big Mic is nowadays?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The only meal I have eaten at McDonald's in at least 10 years is breakfast, which I like, even though it's doubtless the most unhealthy meal they serve. The sausage biscuit leaves more grease stains than a 10-car wreck at Talladega.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's very good and very reasonably priced compared to the other coffee places... They did a Pepsi challenge on the streets of Seattle with Starbucks and a couple other expensive coffee places and McDonald's won pretty handily...

Draft saved Draft deleted