1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, McDonald's Dollar Menu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 24, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Now it's Dollar Menu & More. I guess it's like most stuff isn't a dollar at Dollar Store.

And they didn't raise the prices in response to giving the employees raises to $15/hour!

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/24/news/companies/mcdonalds-dollar-menu/

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The story might be screwed up because it claims new prices for both the McDouble and the double cheeseburger -- which, as far as I know, IS the McDouble. And lists two different prices. Editor?!

I knew this was coming when I heard radio ads for the "McDouble with bacon for only $2." In other words, you'd get the $1 McDouble and then pay another $1 for two slices of bacon on it.

They really need to just kill the concept or, at least, the name. Call it the "Value Menu" and stop the lying, if most of the stuff is going to be > $1.

Bet this causes some of the locations to lose money. I can think of times I swung through the drive-thru to get two $1 items, just cuz it seemed so damn cheap. Stopping there on a whim for a couple of things that cost $1.69 doesn't have the same impulse pull to it. So they get $0 from me. Oh well.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The double cheeseburger has mustard on it and the McDouble doesn't. If there are differences beyond that, I'm not aware of them.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

the double cheeseburger had two slices of cheese and the mcdouble only has one. It's why there was a cost difference.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not that this has anything to do with the dollar menu, but I recently learned they are now charging $3.99 for the Filet 'o' Fish. That is ridiculous.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just as well; the stuff will kill ya.[/crossthread]

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Last trip I made to Mickey D's was to use the wifi. I tried to buy a $1 tea and my local store (we only had one) had discontinued the $1 drinks. I left.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

McDouble has been $1.29 in my area of SoCal for some time now. I now get two with fries instead of 3. Plus $1 for 32-ounce sweet tea.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarifications on McDouble vs. double cheeseburger ingredients.

Always enjoy killing layover time in airports by hanging around the McDonald's in those joints and hearing customers bitch about the inflated prices, particularly on items that they're used to seeing on the "Dollar Menu." "Yeah, but not in airports, knuckleheads, where everybody charges more for everything!"

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

no Wifi in the parking lot?

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That's some kind of horseshit. I remember back in the day when they would have those for 49 cents on Fridays during Lent. Probably says more about my older-than-shitness and less about McDonald's, but is still hacks me off.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Speaking of older-than-shitness, I remember it being my favorite food in the world and my dad put up a stink when I would order them because they were 35 cents while a hamburger was 25 cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted