1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Maya Angelou

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 28, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

She was 86.

http://myfox8.com/2014/05/28/maya-angelou-dead-at-86/

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

Just a few...

While I know myself as a creation of God, I am also obligated to realize and remember that everyone else and everything else are also God's creation.

My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She's reading poetry to Mandela in heaven right now... :D

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wow. "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" was an exceptional work, among countless exceptional works by Angelou.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In case you were wondering ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Well, she does have a pretty good excuse.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A1.

[​IMG]

Apparently there's a typo on the page but I haven't looked closely enough to see what it is.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Of course, there's always somebody who doesn't see things the way most decent people do.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/john-derbyshire-remembers-maya-angelou-talentless-whining-affirmative-action-mediocrity

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Beforet the body is even cold, the New Republic huffs and puffs about Angelou using the honorific title "Doctor."

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117947/maya-angelou-was-ms-not-dr-against-title-inflation-america?utm_content=buffer2de95&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Which does seem pretty "uppity," come to think of it.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I didn't get the whole "affirmative action" thing.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ah, you know, none of them people ever actually accomplish anything on their own -- it's all handed to them.

You can tell just by lookin' at 'em.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Check the West Point deck. Scandalous!

Draft saved Draft deleted