1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Max McGee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Oct 20, 2007.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

He was trying to blow off leaves.
    Sad way to go.
    Hoist a beer and a shot to No. 85.

2. The lights go dim at Fuzzy's.
    RIP

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Ha. That's great.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

another great mcgee story. lombardi had fined him several times for breaking curfew, raising the ante each time. exasperated, he told max at a team meeting: "next time, it'll cost you "2,000" -- a shitload in the '60s, when players made maybe $15,000 -- "and if you find something out there worth $2,000, call me and i'll go with you!"

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

When in doubt, Google or Wikipedia. It's all there.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's interesting to think about this as we remember Max McGee: Imagine what the reaction would be in today's game if a wide receiver or QB went out the night before the Super Bowl and got rip roaring drunk, then stumbled his way to an amazing performance. There would be 24 hours of moralizing, and "What do we tell our CHILDREN!" and none (or very little) of the wink-wink fondness we've always shown for McGee and his antics. It's kind of like Mantle hitting home runs hungover and puking on the dugout steps. It was cool because that was what you did -- drink hard, play hard.

A different time in sports, I guess.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Too funny, but I'm listening to the radio right now. The Packers' radio network, because the Packers have a bye this week, is replaying the radio broadcast of the game in 1992 where Favre replaced the injured Don Majkowski. At halftime, the radio team of Jim Irwin and Max McGee took phone calls and one fan called in and asked Max if he remembered him because he ate at a Chi Chi's. Max's response was 'And you're still alive?'

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I remember reading a story a long time ago (Inside Sport magazine, I think) that Max actually lost his SB I ring after a wild night. I think he got it back, though after a period of time.

Sounds like he lived a great life.

RIP

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He was one of those teammates everyone loves -- and Hornung's running buddy, too.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He owned part of another chain too, but damned if I can remember the name...

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted