1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Maurice Sendak

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HC, May 8, 2012.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

"Let the wild rumpus begin" :'(

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/books/maurice-sendak-author-of-where-the-wild-things-are-dead-at-83/article2426001/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=Referrer%3A+Social+Network+%2F+Media&utm_content=2426001&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Kevin Bacon starred in the 1998 erotic thriller "Wild Things." There you go.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/books/maurice-sendak-childrens-author-dies-at-83.html?hp

4. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

“I cry a lot because I miss people. They die and I can't stop them. They leave me and I love them more.”
    ― Maurice Sendak

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Saw an exhibit at a museum in NYC several years ago - very, very interesting. RIP

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Sendak's sets and costumes for the opera "Hansel and Gretel" were absolutely amazing.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My favorite Sendek was not a book but a quote -- asked what he would say to parents who thought the movie "Where The Wild Things Are" was too scary, he replied, "I would tell them to go to hell."

8. My wife and I would read "Where the Wild Things Are" nightly to our sons when they were young. Many thanks, and RIP.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My favorite book when I was a kid. RIP.

Never saw the movie. Don't have any interest.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sendak on Colbert in January.

Part 1: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/406796/january-24-2012/grim-colberty-tales-with-maurice-sendak-pt--1

Part 2: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/406902/january-25-2012/grim-colberty-tales-with-maurice-sendak-pt--2

A. I didn't know he was gay. Not that it matters, just hadn't heard it.
    B. He reminds me of James Lipton.
    C. I'm sad this thread hasn't gotten more run. I only read a couple of his books (totally didn't know about "little naked boy" book), but they were among my favorites. As the people from Today said, part of my childhood died today.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP to the man whose most famous book scared the shit out of me as a kid.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I've always been a huge fan of illustrated children's books and my kids still have most, if not all of Sendak's works.

Everyone knows "Where the Wild Things Are" for good reason but "In the Night Kitchen" is a must-have. and "Outside Over There" is, in my opinion, is a more compelling story than Wild Things.

Probably the only American author of illustrated kids' books that I love more than Sendak is Virginia Lee Burton

Draft saved Draft deleted