1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Maurice Lucas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Nov 1, 2010.

1. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Arguably the greatest Trail Blazer, depending on how you feel about Bill Walton or Clyde Drexler, dead at 58. Fuck you, cancer.

EDIT: Here's the link ... http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5751059

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

One of the top examples of an ABA star (former St. Louis Spirits player) being at least as much of a star in the NBA. A bad-ass power forward. R.I.P.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I remember the ABA retro T-shirts that were out a few years ago. Wish I'd picked up a Spirits of St. Louis shirt. That was one bad-ass team.

RIP, Maurice.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, when St. Louis absorbed the defunct Utah franchise, the Spirits picked up Moses Malone and Ron Boone to go with Freddie Lewis. But unfortunately, Maurice Lucas had already been traded to Kentucky. Mo and Moses would have been an awesome combo.

Edited to fix my remembrance fail.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Mo spent some time in with the Nets shortly after the merger. Great player and a good guy as well.
    very sad news

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Wasn't he also a really good tennis player or am I thinking of some other basketball player who played in World Team Tennis in the 70's?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You're thinking of John Lucas (no relation), the guard from Maryland.

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

RIP "The Enforcer."

Maurice Lucas knew his role, and did it well.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP. Also one of Marquette's greatest players.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It was a Maurice Lucas shot at the buzzer that inspired this great photo.

[​IMG]

That's Al McGuire on the scorer's table and the man giving him the one-finger salute is the father of Kim and Kerry Hughes, twin 7-footers that played at Wisconsin. Yes, he's the same Kim Hughes who finished last season as the Clippers' interim coach.

Lucas' shot won the championship game of the old Milwaukee Classic, which used to be co-hosted by Wisconsin and Marquette in the old Milwaukee Arena. The normal format seemed to be to bring in two patsie teams and then have Wisconsin and Marquette whip them and meet in the tournament final.

Great times. Even though UW basketball was not anywhere near the program it is now, that tournament final was almost always a really good game.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You hear about a cancer diagnosis these days and you are a lot more hopeful than in the past - which makes news like this that much more sad.
    RIP Mo.

Draft saved Draft deleted