1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Matt Keough

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, May 3, 2020.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have known that either if not for an episode of VH1's "Where Are They Now" which features "Video Vixens of the '80s" and they had her on and mentioned her marriage to Keough.
    Kinda sad, though, that the headline on Yahoo and other general interest websites is essentially "Dad, ex-husband of reality TV stars dies at 64."

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

From the My First Crush thread

Huggy and ChrisLong like this.
  3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

In that 1980 season Rick Langford threw 22 consecutive complete games.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yeah, he got robbed. He made a Big Show of his own, too.

Matt Keough, former MLB pitcher, dies at 64

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Six... innings.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Keough also had a great Billy Martin story. Martin has been kicked out of a game, but went to his office to watch it on tv. Gets an idea and calls down to the dugout. Keough picks up the phone and Martin starts giving him directions to relay to Clete Boyer, who was now managing. Ump comes over and tells him to get of them phone so Keough hangs up. Martin calls back screaming and tells Keough to turn around so the ump can’t see he is on the phone. Keough does so, but is soon yanked backward by an irate ump who then rips the phone cord out of the wall.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Beach Girls was a pivotal movie in my adolescence.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Brian Kingman (one of our local preps) was the fifth starter in '81. He went 3-6, made 15 starts and had 3 complete games.

9. mpcincal

And the year before he went 8-20, and had been the last 20-game loser in the majors until the Tigers' Mike Maroth in 2003.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A couple other fun facts: Phil Niekro led the NL in wins (21) AND losses (20) in 1979. And Cy Young himelf lost 20 or more games 3 times in his career.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yeah. But ERA of 3.83 in 211.1 innings and 10 complete games in 30 starts. Who was it that said you've got to be a pretty good pitcher to lose 20 games.

I always get Brian Kingman and Byron McLaughlin confused (as it pertains to A's pitchers, McLaughlin never was on the A's). McLaughlin is another local prep who is now a wanted fugitive in a counterfeit tennis shoe scandal and money laundering scheme, probably living in Africa.

12. mpcincal

Oh, yeah, I always figured Kingman was better than that 1980 record indicated. Funny thing was that he broke in the year before, when the A's had a horrible (54-108) season, but he went a respectable 8-7 (albeit with a 4.31 ERA). Then, in 1980, when the A's improved greatly under Billy Martin (83-79) and he lowered his ERA, he had the 2o-loss season.

Draft saved Draft deleted