1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Matt Dobek

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Knighthawk, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Q: Will ANYTHING change, as a result of this, in the way corporate America (or at least the worst of corporate America) goes about its terminations of dedicated employees?

No matter what the claim against Matt might have been, it sounds like he was blindsided by the termination, which suggests no review process, no mature sitdown, no chance for representation and so on. Twenty-nine years over with the snap of some fingers?

Go ahead, CEOs and MBAs. Reduce absolutely everything to a ledger line and a scribble of black ink vs. red ink. Make all employees feel that they were hired on for a task only and, once paid for that task, there is no connection, bond or relationship until the next task. See how well -- without loyalty, without pride, without people identifying with the organization and giving a little extra -- that works out for you.

Oh wait, we're pretty much there.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hate to bring a painful thread back to life, but I wonder how the Pistons will handle this.

Would Matt's family show up at the Palace for the ceremony knowing what the Pistons did to him?

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

What ceremony? Even if he was alive and still working with the Pistons, there likely wouldn't be a ceremony at center court.

Most people at the arena wouldn't know who he is. PR directors usually don't have name recognition with most fans.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Davidson regime (i.e Karen Davidson) wants nothing more than to get rid of the franchise 30 seconds ago.

Problem is, they keep asking high, then when they seem to have a fish on the line (i.e. Ilitch a few months ago and Gores in recent weeks) the prospective buyer lowers the bid, the deal falls apart, and back they go to Square One.

They won't do a thing about Dobek.

(From most reports now, the Ilitch empire is out of the running completely so whatever info Dobek might even conceivably have been feeding Wilson is moot anyway.)

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think Dobek was a little different. Hell, Pistons fans knew who the trainer was...

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Trust me, Hank, if Dobek was alive and still working for the Pistons there would be a small ceremony on the court at either halftime or before tipoff of a game.

And his name is pretty well-known in Pistons' fans circles. He was also the family spokesman for Chuck Daly and the Daly family after Chuck died.

Draft saved Draft deleted