1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Matt Dobek

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Knighthawk, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

The longtime Detroit Pistons PR guy - he had been there 29 years when he left after the season - died this afternoon at his home. He was only 51.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

RIP. Too young. Was he sick? I don't see an obit posted at the moment.

3. noodles

noodles Member

Detroit Free Press story said he was fired in May, and committed suicide at his home today.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

http://www.freep.com/article/20100821/SPORTS03/100821013/1051/Matt-Dobek-Pistons-former-PR-director-dies

6. Moderator1

Very tactfully handled in that story - didn't blow it up but didn't ignore it either.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I must be looking at a different version. The link above currently has no reference to suicide or dying at home.

8. Moderator1

Nope, you're not nuts (and neither am I - honest). It's been changed. Original version "The family confirmed it was suicide" before the last graph - and it isn't there anymore.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From the looks of it, were the Pistons his only employer after college? Very sad. RIP.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Heard that his firing from the Pistons was handled in the most cold, officious manner possible. Have no idea if there was any link between that job loss and this tragic news, but I know how deeply a lot of people on both sides of our business in sports media identify with their jobs. To have that suddenly and summarily taken away...

Again, no inside knowledge. But based on how it ended, I'm thinking Matt D. gave the Pistons better than he got from them.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's shocking this doesn't happen more often. Hope whomever handled this firing has a sleepless night tonight, and many nights to come.

RIP.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Holee shit...

Draft saved Draft deleted