1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mary Travers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As I got older I became very conflicted by PPM.

As a child Puff The Magic Dragon was one of my favorite songs.

As a I became more aware of the world, I came to despise their politics.

Always got a kick out of those PBS PPM concerts - watching aging hippies grove to the sounds of their youth.

2. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

This one really hits me, I guess for the time and place she represents in my life. A dragon lives forever, but not so little girls. RIP.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Whether PPM wrote it about marijuana matters not. Most people took it to mean that it was about herb. Sometimes the meaning of a song is hijacked by those who listen to it.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Exactly what I found amusing about the "since-discounted reports."

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, all that meddlin' in civil rights and crap in the Sixties was really loathesome.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Even before it became the story of my life, 'Leaving on a Jet Plane' was the one song that inevitably reduced me to tears every time I...hell, even now.

But only the PPM version. The John Denver rendition makes me want to hurl myself from a jet plane.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oooh. Unfortunate image.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm expressing considerable thanks right now that I have never, ever heard THAT version.

Love the PPM version. I had a crush on a girl in middle school who sang it at the talent show. First time my heart locked up on me.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Always loved their stuff back when, and as a parent, I found a huge new measure of respect and fandom thanks to their ``Peter Paul and Mommy'' albums.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Here's the note Peter Yarrow sent to friends:

<i>"Surrounded by love with a spirit of quiet, grateful, celebration amongst many friends who had gathered to be with her, Mary chose to leave us a few minutes before 7:30 p.m.

"She was in no pain and was able to understand and respond to spoken words even up to some time late in the afternoon, just a few hours before her passing.

"I was able to convey the thoughts, messages of appreciation and love, from many of you who contacted me.

"It was an honor and a blessing to have been with Mary in this last, powerful chapter in her life. She was Mary to a 'T' until the end, nodding yesterday when asked if she wanted to go shopping with the girls at the Mall, gently (but clearly) slapping away the arm of a nurse who didn't stop doing something to Mary when she asked her not to (all this with her eyes unopened).

"I could sense her delight when I came to sit with her, massage her fingers as I always did on tour, and tell her all the things worth saying to express my love, for quite a long period of time during the day.

"She was a giant of a person, in spirit and heart, till the end. Missing her has only just begun."</i>

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

R.I.P. to one-third of one of the best vocal groups in rock. Speaking of Smasher's post, Jimmy Carter had one of the coolest pardons ever when he pardoned Yarrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted