1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Marvin Miller

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Ultimately, Miller did what it was his job to do- protect labor. Labor in this case meant something different than it means to you and me, but still, on a grander scale, his cause was just and moral- seeing that the people doing the work reaped their fair share of the benefits. And he saw through the owners' cries of poverty. The thing that put the burden on the fan rather than the players or the owners was the misguided and ridiculous appointment of Selig. Never should have happened. A commissioners mission should be to uphold the integrity of the game, something Selig's failed miserably at.

I say Miller was a great man, and I say he should be in the Hall of Fame.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Why do people cling to this notion that the commissioner is anything other than the CEO for a multi-billion dollar entity called Major League Baseball? His mission is to maximize profits for franchise owners, which he has done quite effectively.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Yes

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Exactly.

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

For some of baseball's economic history: http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/haupert.mlb
    Intersting that the reserve clause and the first significant TV rights contracts were so closely linked in time

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

For those who are interested in Miller and the rise of the MLBPA, John Helyar's "Lords of the Realm" is an outstanding read.

http://www.amazon.com/Lords-Realm-John-Helyar/dp/0345465245

Draft saved Draft deleted