1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Marvin Hamlisch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Aug 7, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Chorus Line comes to a close for the composer

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/07/marvin-hamlisch-composer-of-a-chorus-line-dies-at-68/?hp

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

RIP, Mr. Hamlisch.

Sad that my first thought was of his guest spot on The Nanny? Yes? Oh.

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

RIP. He was conducting the Pasadena Pops and I had hoped to take the family for a night out to see it later this summer. I'll remember him for the score to "The Sting" which I think is at an extremely high level when it comes to setting a period mood while providing energy to the movie.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hard to find a non-musical movie whose score had a more integral role than "The Sting."

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Believe he was also behind the opening score in "Seems Like Old Times" from 1980. Freaking love that song.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The funny thing is the music from The Sting is not from the period in which the movie is set.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

You think that's sad? My first thought was "that's the guy Steve Garvey's wife left him for."

8. My first thought was that line in Role Models

Augie Farks: Naysayers tell me "You should be embarrassed", "You should not be fighting", "You look like a young Marvin Hamlisch". I say "Nay, I am not embarrassed", "I will fight", "Who the fuck is Marvin Hamlisch?"

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I auditioned for Marvin Hamlisch only once - for the workshop of "Sweet Smell of Success". He was a nice man who wrote some great music. RIP, sir.

Draft saved Draft deleted