1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Marvin Barnes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Let the stories begin. I say that he made it to
    62 is a miracle.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/content/20140908-pc-basketball-great-marvin-barnes-dead-at-62.ece

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

'Bad News' - one of the great nicknames of all time. Probably one of Rhode Island's most celebrated athletes, too, behind DiGregorio and Davey Lopes.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The 30 for 30 on the St. Louis Spirits was largely an hour of guys telling Barnes stories.

4. Boom_70

One of the best mentioned in The Journal article:

"Barnes was a charismatic, and often troubled, star both on and off the court. He first caused waves as a teenager in South Providence when he was with a group of his friends who tried to commandeer a city bus. They didn’t get very far, mainly because Barnes was wearing his Central letterman’s jacket with his name embroidered on the chest."

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"I ain't gettin' on no time machine!"

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

THAT's the one I'll always remember. If anyone else hasn't read Terry Pluto's "Loose Balls," his ABA oral history, find one NOW.

And, yes, it's a miracle he made it to 62.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

He always had the bitches, man.

And yes, Pluto's book is THE one to get if you want to learn about the ABA. I still pick up my 20-year-old copy of the book once in a while to reread random chapters.

Looking forward to a column by or interview of Bob Costas on Barnes in the near future.

8. Boom_70

Would argue that Foul was the best ABA book although it was not about ABA
    per say. It was about Connie Hawkins but it covered his time in ABA in depth.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If Marvin's funeral is scheduled for 10 am, the pallbearers should wheel in the casket at 10:20.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Awesome.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Saw him play with Ernie D and Nehru King in a doubleheader at the Aud in 1971 or so; amazing player. Wasn't Kevin Stackom on those Friar teams as well?

12. Boom_70

Yes Stacom was part of that group

Draft saved Draft deleted