1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Marv Schneider

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Mar 21, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

One of the great characters of AP Sports in New York in the late '70s and '80s. He was huge on the radio side but I knew him as the night supervisor in sports when I started there in 1981. I was just 23. I loved Marv. He was smart and funny and quick and most of all professional. He had tremendous news judgement as a supervisor and was respected by a crazy bunch of national writers with huge egos. He always had a cigar in his mouth. I have trouble picturing him without one. As he left the department at the end of a shift, he would almost invariably turn to those of us still there and say, "Maybe we'll get it right tomorrow." I often use that line as I'm leaving my office these days. RIP Marv.

Marv Schneider, former Associated Press reporter, dead at 84 | Miami Herald Miami Herald

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

One of my favorite people during my short time in New York Sports. Just a great guy all the way around.

RIP Marv.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Overlapped with him at AP -- who didn't? -- and remember him to be a fun and friendly voice over the phone whenever I called him or he called me.

Draft saved Draft deleted