1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Marty Mule'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jon Burrows, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Jon Burrows

Jon Burrows New Member

Marty Mule', a mainstay of Louisiana sports journalism for almost half a century died Saturday afternoon after a heart attack at his home near Covington, La. He was 73.
    Marty spent 31 years with the New Orleans Times-Picayune as a columnist, beat writer and enterprise writer and excelled at all of them, plus anything else he was called on to do.
    After leaving the newspaper in 2005 he continued to write for newspapers and magazines along with three of his eight books - Tales from the LSU Sidelines, The Allstate Sugar Bowl's - 75 Years and Game Changers, the definitive history of Louisiana sports.
    He was a three-time Louisiana Sports Writer of the Year and the 2009 recipient of the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame's Distinguished Service Award in Sports Journalism.
    Marty was a true sports historian who would delve enthusiastically into any project that told stories to a new audience, such as the effect of the Kennedy assassination on local sports.
    He also was a great fan of music - particularly Elvis and Sinatra and an avid reader who could devour a three-volume history of World War II in the time it takes most of us to finish the morning paper.
    Marty was always bemoaning what had happened to our business and our profession. In protest he refused to acknowledge that Twitter even exists.
    But he also would go out of his way to help young journalists, even those he didn't know such as the ones who called in the weeks leading up to the 10th anniversary of Katrina.
    He didn't mind dropping whatever he was doing to help an old friend come up with the right word.

TigerVols and Liut like this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting Jon. Well said. RIP Marty.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Didn't Marty Mule' write a pretty authoritative biography of Pete Maravich, or am I thinking of someone else? The reason I ask that is that I recall referencing a Pete Maravich bio quite a few years ago when I did a story on Jaeson Maravich, who was playing for a local NAIA university at the time, and I was thinking Marty wrote it.

At any rate, Marty was one of the old guard in the Superdome press box, a crowd that is now mostly gone. RIP, indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted