1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Marty Marion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Eight-time all-star shortstop, 1944 NL MVP and player-manager with Cardinals and Browns. Dead at 93:

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Would never have guessed he was still alive. Even our boy Abe has a way to go to catch Marion's 93. RIP to a Cardinal great.
  3. Steak Snabler

Find it interesting that he was 6-2, 170 --- which was big, or at least tall, for the 1940s --- and had almost no power. If you looked at his career stats, you'd figure he was built like Phil Rizzuto.

I read somewhere that Marion was Earl Weaver's hero growing up. That alone makes him A-OK in my book.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The story didn't say, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe Marion was also very instrumental in getting a pension fund started for players. While today's millionaires really don't need it, a whole couple generations of players are probably extremely thankful.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Stitch don't care.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One of my dad's favorite players from his childhood, along with Snuffy Sterweiss. They are only names to me. I would have never guessed he'd still be alive.
  7. Steak Snabler

Interestingly enough, Stirnweiss died just a few years after his career ended, when a commuter train plunged off a bridge in Newark in 1958:

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The guy who finally drove the White Sox to the well of Venezuelan shortstops. Thanks, Marty. RIP.
Draft saved Draft deleted