1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mark Harris

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Jun 1, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The author of "Bang The Drum Slowly" and "The Southpaw," along with more than a dozen other books, died at 84 on Wednesday, due to complications from Alzheimer's.

http://tinyurl.com/347erb (link to LAT obit)

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Whew. I thought it was one of the myriad of Mike Harrises that roam the plains.

Still an unfortunate loss.

3. The movie version of BTDS is an underrated masterpiece.
    DeNiro and a sane Michael Moriarty.
    "I think the club coulda sent somebody."

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

Sad news. I read all four of his baseball books and enjoyed them all. I thought the Southpaw was the best of the four books. I also read "Trumpet to the World" which was also outstanding.

I remember he wrote an article in the New York Times Sunday magazine about the time "Bang The Drum Slowly" came out concerning the adaptation. If I recall correctly, I don't think he was completely happy or unhappy with the film adaptation, but he basicly said if you sell the rights from your novel to Hollywood, he realized you pretty much lose control.

I would read anything Mark Harris wrote.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, it was Harris himself who wrote the adaptation.

He still might have been unhappy with changes to the story, but his name is on the film credits, as well as the book.

And like "The Natural," the BTDS book and the BTDS film should almost be treated as separate entities because they are both so good, but in so different ways.

6. In Exile

In Exile Member

The Southpaw is outstanding. A must read.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

Buck:

What I remember about the article is that he seemed frustrated at first, but then came to accept that things were different.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

RIP

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

Sad. A great writer is gone. Bang the Drum Slowly was one incredible book.

Draft saved Draft deleted