1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Manute Bol

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 19, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

RIP to an OK basketball player, and a tremendous man.

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Barkley pranking Manute:

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

That's gonna be a long coffin.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I was in the room when that was filmed. Funny beyond belief.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Very sad news about Manute Bol, who lived a selfless life after his basketball career ended. I loved watching Washington Bullets games on Home Team Sports while growing up in the D.C. area - Bol, Wes Unseld, Moses Malone, Gheorge Muresan, et al - and I got a little teary-eyed when I read of Bol's passing.
    There was an excellent BASW piece about 20 years ago on Bol returning to Sudan ... was it Leigh Montville who wrote it?

6. Sammi

Sammi Member

I believe I was the only TV person to interview Manute the day he was drafted by the Bullets. At 5'9", I had to hold the microphone outstretched all the way to reach just under his chin. My photog had worse problems: had trouble holding the severe angle pointed upwards to get Manute's head in the shot. So we decided to sit Manute down and his knees still came up to my head.

RIP Manute.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I didn't realize all Manute did off the court. A lot of people (myself included) could learn from him. RIP to a great man indeed.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What Manute Bol and Dikembe Mutombo have done for their homelands in Africa hasn't received enough credit. HBO's "Real Sports" did something on Manute some time back. And better late than never to continue to get out the stories of Bol and Mutombo and their attempts to seemingly singlehandedly save Sudan and Republic of Congo, respectively.

RIP Manute, and thank you for both your contributions to humanity and your ability to never take yourself too seriously.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

We had two NBA stories on an inside page I did the other day. One was Manute Bol's obit, with all the humanitarian efforts well documented from start to finish. The other was LeBron showing up at a rally whose sole purpose was to appreciate LeBron himself.

I wish stars like LeBron would be more Manute Bol and less Michael Jordan sometimes. Bol was a rare breed in the NBA.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I thought I read that LeBron showed up late for that event. It had officially been declared over and most of the people left. Then he showed up, talked about how great Akron was. The award they were giving him had already been packed away, they had to unpack it to give it to him.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP big guy.

Your cloud should be very high.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

To the big stars show up late to these things (as well as press conferences) because they really are busy and have other things that keep them from getting there on time or do they show up late because they can?

Draft saved Draft deleted